- Choose a safe place in every room (under a sturdy table or desk or against an inside wall where nothing can fall on you.)
- Practice: DROP, COVER, and HOLD ON at least twice a year. Drop under a sturdy desk or table, hold on, and protect your eyes by pressing your face against your arm. If there is not a table, or desk nearby, sit on the floor against an interior wall away from windows, bookcases, or tall furniture that could fall on you. Teach children to DROP, COVER, and HOLD on!
- Choose an out-of-town family contact.
- Consult a professional to find out additional ways you can protect your work and home; such as bolting the house to its foundation and other structural mitigation techniques.
- Take a first aid class from you local American Red Cross chapter. Keep your training current.
- Get training in how to use a fire extinguisher from your local fire department.